The theme of the competition is The Union’s vision – A healthier world for all, free of tuberculosis and lung disease.
This was the most appropriate theme for The Union’s first photography competition. It also provides members with the creative freedom to depict The Union’s work in ways that are most relevant and meaningful to them – whether that is research, education or policy implementation.
The prizes and judging panel
There are three prizes to win for the three best photographs:
- Free Union membership for a year
- Free online access to the International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease for a year
- Free virtual attendance at The Union World Conference on Lung Health 2022
A small panel of judges will decide the winning photographs. The panel includes:
- Terry Eiler, Pulitzer Prize winning photojournalist at Ohio University
- Ingrid Schoeman, Secretary General and Board Member at The Union
- Hugh Blackbourn, Director of Publications at The Union
How to enter
It is free and open to all members, regardless of your level of photography ability and equipment – a smart phone is good enough. The entry criteria are simple:
- Take the photographs yourself.
- Submit a minimum of three and maximum of seven photographs, which closely relate to the theme and activities of The Union and our membership
- Due to international and national laws all identifiable people within the photographic image must sign a media release form – please feel free to use The Union’s media consent form
- Although the photographer will retain their international copyright, they do agree that The Union may use selected images in print and digital delivery for three years with credit.
By entering the competition, you give The Union permission to use the photographs to promote its work. Permission can be withdrawn at any time and The Union will use reasonable endeavours to remove the photograph(s) from public use.
Making your submission
Photographs will have to be digital, in JPEG or PNG format, and a maximum of 5MB each. With each photograph, please include a title and/or description (maximum of 150 words).The closing date for submissions is Friday 30 September 2022.
For more information, please read the full photography competition terms and conditions.